I've noticed a long-term cycle that repeats through my life; unlike many of the most obvious ones, its period is typically months in length.
- Life goes pretty smoothly for a while and I handle things as they come.
- Something has a more significant impact on me, which starts small but slowly cascades to cover more and more of my thoughts. Unchecked, it very slowly, but usually, consumes me.
- My mind enters a turbulent period full of anxiety and discomfort. I feel mentally ill and the need to escape from everything.
- Often with help from someone, the issue is resolved. It could be that I finally get the result I want, or that I have some sort of epiphany that calms all of the anxiety.
- I slip into a new norm where everything goes smoothly. Oftentimes, I must discard elements from the previous smooth period in order to get everything "just right." I always feel like I've learned something new, either about myself, or something or someone else.