Thursday, May 26, 2022

Leavenworth (2022-05-22)

After visiting Leavenworth by train a few years back, I was very curious about the route between Stevens Pass and the town, so I headed out that way.

Previous albums:

More after the break…

Outbound

Since I was going on a longer ride and doing it solo, I left home at about 7 AM this time. I didn't run into much traffic until the two-lane portion of SR-522, which sped up as the highway regained two lanes near Monroe.

My first stop was in Sultan for both gas and food. I was hoping to find something other than some factory-sealed pastry that was too sweet for my stomach, and was lucky enough to see that they sold hot corn dogs, and two to a pack!


Along the US 2 towards Stevens Pass, I had my first car pull off to let me pass, even though I was neither tailgating nor running my engine at high revs. Strange.

My next stop was in Skykomish for a brief look around the town.

Much to my surprise, the old Skykomish Hotel was finally being used for something: ground level retail and restaurants.


I then made a quick restroom and photo stop at Stevens Pass, which I'd last visited by motorscooter and bicycle.


Up next was the first bit of unfamiliar road, which ended up being quite a lot of fun! There were all kinds of cool sights, like a shimmering silver diner near Cole's Corner. And while it was cold up at the pass, it really warmed up as US 2 descended into Tumwater Canyon. The sound of the rushing Wenatchee River was also very nice.

When I was finally approaching Leavenworth, traffic slowed down significantly, down to stop-and-go in the town proper. While I trundled along, I kept an eye out for the familiar Bavarian-themed sights from last time, and finally left the highway when I saw a good spot. There was even motorcycle-specific parking!

I was pretty hungry at this point, so after I took off some layers, I headed to a bakery that looked good. Unfortunately, they only had leftover breakfast pastries and wouldn't be opening for lunch for an hour, so I had to look elsewhere. Thankfully, not far from where I'd parked was a tiny cafe that wasn't too busy.

Inbound

Since I had a feeling Stevens Pass would still be cold, I layered up yet again, and since I knew there wouldn't be gas for a while, I quickly got some gas at the local combination 76/Subway, then headed out.

Traffic wasn't so bad in this direction. Near the pass, I ended up tailing a white pickup truck, who I kept behind all the way down, well past Skykomish. At some point after I lost them, another driver pulled over to let me pass them under the same circumstances as before.

After a quick stop at the grocery store in Gold Bar to both use the restroom and lose my extra layers again, I continued west along US 2.

As I passed Startup and approached Sultan, traffic became stop-and-go, so I left the highway to cruise along city streets in Sultan, then headed west along Ben Howard Road. I was familiar with how hilly and windy it was, but it really felt like a roller coaster this time since I was taking corners with more confidence! Along the way, I rode past one stopped motorcycle rider, and another one passed me, with the stopped one catching up to me towards the end of the road. Since they were of similar ages and riding similar bikes, I'd guess they were riding together.

My last stop on the way home was at the Chevron in Monroe for both gas and more Nacho Cheese Bugles.

After dealing with bad traffic on SR-522 near I-405, I was hit with more stop-and-go traffic on I-5 just south of the I-405 interchange. Since I'd gotten over to the HOV lane at speed prior to the slowdown, I exited the freeway via the Lynnwood Transit Center ramp, then took SR-99 and Greenwood Avenue home.

I'd later chat with my partner about cars pulling over, and she said that she didn't like driving with motorcycles in front or behind, so maybe it was the same for these drivers.

No comments: