Friday, May 6, 2022

Snoqualmie Pass & Cle Elum (2022-05-01)

My first ride to Eastern Washington! Also my first time up to Snoqualmie Pass via the road, as I'd previously only gone through the Palouse to Cascades Trail tunnel.

Previous times in the area::

I'd originally planned this ride so my partner could join me, but since she ended up having to do something for work, I extended it from Snoqualmie Pass to Cle Elum.

More after the break…

Outbound

As usual, I started at around 7 AM then headed out on I-5 and I-90. It was a pretty uneventful for much of the way, but I started taking curves more at speed as I got through the windy sections of I-90 in the mountains.

After about an hour, I arrived at Snoqualmie Pass, then explored the area while taking photos. It was at this point when I realized that I'd forgotten my walking GPS, so I had to use my car GPS to track my location. It didn't work, though, until I configured it to never turn the screen off, so I ended up having to manually tag a number of photos later.

Despite all of the snow, the resort at the western edge of the summit was closed.

Though, some folks were heading out to ski.

Since I really needed to find a restroom, I headed to the open cafe on the other side of the road. After taking care of business, I ordered and consumed a hot chocolate and a slice of cake from the cafe.

And then I went to the nearby gas station to fill up my bike.

There sure are a lot of cabins at the pass!


I then headed to the resort at the central summit, which appeared to be open.

There was a guy who was astonishingly cheerful handling the crossing guard duties.


I then headed down the other side of I-90 to Cle Elum. Traffic was a bit heavier on this section, but still quite quick.

My first stop in Cle Elum was the old Milwaukee Road Depot, which I'd previously only seen South Cle Elum Yard Depot: I passed by the old Milwaukee Road depot here in the dead of night.in the dark and by bicycle. I don't recall if it was being used for anything at the time, but it now housed Smokey's Bar-B-Que.

I really enjoyed the sunny, warm weather after the seemingly endless rain in Seattle this Spring. Even the pine trees filled me with enthusiasm!

I then headed over to the nearby trailhead for more photos, taking special care to remember my Discover Pass.

Does anybody know what these cabooses are for?


My next stop was a fairly quick one to take photos of downtown Cle Elum.

Followed by a food stop at the local Safeway, which brought back memories of last time. Right when I parked, an older lady driving a shiny new Subaru BRZ parked across from me, and when she left shortly before I did, she commented on how nice the weather was for time on the road.

Inbound

Like my ride out to Cle Elum, the return trip was fast with lots of heavy leaning into curves at speed, and what a blast it was! Though, I did slow down to rest in the right lane for a while at one point.

I did have to make one stop in North Bend for gas, as I was keeping the RPMs pretty high out on the freeway.

Then I went straight home. Traffic on I-90 was more or less fine, but I-5 in downtown was its usual terrible. Once off the freeway, it was stop and go most of the way back to Ballard.

And with all that, I completed my mission: I was at 627 miles, 27 past my target for the first service later the following week!

No comments: