Saturday, September 28, 2019

Snoqualmie Valley Trail IV (2019-09-21)

Originally planned to head out to Snoqualmie Pass, but decided to see the valley instead.

Related albums

I had originally planned to ride to the Snoqualmie Pass Tunnel and back before the snow threatened the open status of it, but when I got onto the Snoqualmie Valley Trail, I decided that I'd rather ride that instead. I couldn't get home too late due to evening plans with my partner, so this presented less risk, too.

More after the break…

Part 1: To Bus

As usual I started at about 05:00, then headed to take the bus to Issaquah.

Part 2: Outbound

After getting off the bus, I was reminded of how much cooler it is in the foothills. While eating a Tibbetts Valley Park, I bundled up and remained so for a few hours.

Rather than taking I-90 like last time, I used a combination of the local unpaved trails and some time on Preston–Fall City Road to cover the same segment. When I got onto the first of these trails (the Issaquah–High Point Trail, I noticed that it looked different from what I remembered

I used to avoid this section because of how rocky some parts were, but when I got to the end of it without going over a single one of them, it became abundantly clear to me: The county had resurfaced the trail since I was last on it. This was very exciting to me, as riding I-90 isn't always something I want to do, mainly because of the debris.

The section between High Point and Preston hadn't been resurfaced, but it really didn't need any attention as it was already pretty smooth. The only issue with that section was how mossy and grassy some parts of the trail had become.

I stuck to the route in Preston all the way to where it crossed Preston–Fall City Road, then followed the road into the latter town.

View this post on Instagram

Is this place any good? #fryes #cycling #bicycle

A post shared by Neil E. Hodges (@takenji1989) on

After town, I crossed the Snoqualmie River, made the left onto SR-203, then went up SE 39th Place and the driveway it becomes. When I arrived to the gate dividing the two sections of the latter, I noticed that Path to Snoqualmie Valley Trail: I've heard of a way to get to the Snoqualmie Valley Trail from Fall City, but hadn't thought of it until planning this.  Aside from having to work hard to get around the gate due to some badly-placed logs (which caused a deep puddle to form), it was a nice route.the logs that used to block the path to the left were gone. Such a quality of life improvement!

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the driveway had also been resurfaced, as it was also known for some chunkier gravel.

Once on the trail, I noticed that new signs had been added, which means the county knows that folks frequently use this access point.

I headed south on the trail, intending to only go to the Tokul Road underpass. Along the way, I saw a couple of group rides along the trail.

While stopped at the underpass to take some photos, a group was forced to squeak by because my bike was in the middle of the tunnel. I moved it as I saw another group approach, feeling bad. One guy in the latter group tried riding up the loose gravel to Tokul Road, but lost traction, spun out, and ended up having to walk up it anyway.

Rather than simply turning back, I decided to do a little reconnaissance: Google Maps showed a section of trail continuing a ways past where this section of the trail actually ended, and I had to check it out! This led me past some "No Trespassing" signs, followed by signs saying it was county land, and lastly a sign that was directing volunteers to a volunteer event. That last sign is largely what kept me going, even after the road turned to double-track. At the end of said road, I saw the volunteer party planting trees, and asked the county employee who was leading it about what Google Maps had shown me. She told me that both Weyerhaeuser land issues and land contamination from years of wood processing were the main blockers for joining the two sections of the Snoqualmie Valley Trail. She also told me about how the volunteer work in the area (both today and earlier events) was to replant trees in the county land to restore it to its original state, after having been used for agriculture for decades.

Part 3: Inbound

Both satisfied and excited about my findings, I decided to simply head on my way, which was north along the Snoqualmie Valley Trail all the way to Duvall. A guy on a Specialized Diverge showed up to the staircase down to the trail right as I was starting down it, so we chatted while descending. I told him about my findings, and he responded with, "They keep changing it!" We both started carrying down our bikes in line with the staircase, wheels hopping down each step, but I soon discovered that simply carrying my bike horizontally (perpendicular with the staircase) was easier.

This took me past Remlinger Farms, and the little railway was doing its usual run as I approached the area.

I passed through Carnation…

…and along the northernmost, flat part of the trail.

When I did eventually get to Duvall, I stopped to get some ice cream and fill my bottles.

After spending a few hours on unpaved surfaces, I was pretty shocked by how well the GravelKings worked on gravel. While they were super comfortable in general (I wasn't rattled at all), I also had a significantly easier time on soft/loose gravel. I guess I would be spooked by said gravel previously and flinch, which caused instability for a moment. Without that flinching, I just glide over it! Carrying less stuff on the bike also probably helps.


Since I was in Duvall and needed to head back to Seattle, there was only viable option: Woodinville–Duvall Road. The last time used it, it ended up being fine, so I wasn't worried at all. It was the same this time: some good climbing, but otherwise not too eventful.

I did miss my original intended turn due to traffic when coming down the hill towards Woodinville, and had to use old SR-9 to go through town. Since it was very familiar, I wasn't too bothered, but I was glad to get to the Sammamish River Trail.

View this post on Instagram

Straight shot home from here. #cycling #seabikes

A post shared by Neil E. Hodges (@takenji1989) on

I didn't make any further between Woodinville and Fremont, where I stopped to chat with the owner at FreeRange before finally heading home.

No comments: