Friday, September 6, 2019

Sequim V: New Trails (2019-08-31)

My original plan was to simply check out the new additions to the Olympic Discovery Trail, but the allure of going all the way to Sequim pulled me into a double metric century.

Related albums:

More after the break…

I hadn't gone out west in quite some time due to how hilly it is out there, but after last time, I felt like I was pretty ready to handle it. Below is the elevation profile of parts 2 and 3 combined to show what I mean.

Part 1: To Ferry

I started at the usual time of 05:00, then headed straight for the ferry terminal. When I got there, I saw a very long line of cars waiting to enter the ticket booths, which weren't yet open. I sneaked past them to wait for the ORCA Card entrance for cyclists, but still had to wait for everything to open before I could go wait at the bicycle area adjacent to the ferry ramp.

Part 2: Outbound

Bainbridge Island started off my ride in Kitsap County with its alternating climbs and descents to the Agate Pass Bridge, which was being repainted.

The alternating climbs and descents continued as I rode into Poulsbo, where I stopped to eat some of the food I brought at the local Central Market.

But the ride smoothed out for a while as I rode through Big Valley.

And then returned to the climbs and descents as I joined SR-3 for the little while before the Hood Canal Bridge. I'd hoped to stop to eat on the little pullout on the Hood Canal Bridge, but it started to rain as I started to do so. Rather than get all wet while resting, I hit the road in hopes of either riding it out or finding an undercover area. I ended up stopping at Rise on Shine, though I ate food that I brought. I also had to patch a tube as I got a puncture during the rainfall. I guess they really are more likely when it's raining! Rather than simply swapping tubes, I put in the effort to patch the tube and reinstall it.


After climbing up to the turnoff for SR-19, I headed north towards Beaver Valley, then hung a left onto Larson Lake Road and the memorable climb away from traffic.

At the end of Larson Lake Road, I hung a left onto Center Road, then a right onto Eaglemount Road. What's pretty crazy about the latter road's eastern end is how it forks out into three smaller roads to join Center road, all of them two-way and with stop signs! What's the point of this?

Heading out this way, I thought there would be a perfect photo op for a climb on Larson Lake Road, but it was actually on Eaglemount Road.

As I passed through Eaglemount, I saw a guy riding a fully-loaded bike—four panniers and more—while he was riding on his aero bars, which I would never do with that kind of load. I didn't know where he had come from, but if he had just climbed up from Discovery Bay, I don't envy him.

One last point of interest on Eaglemount Road are the Eaglemount Rockery Cottages. I didn't know these were still operating, but they did appear to be fully booked.

It was a quick descent on SR-20 into Discovery Bay, during which I maintained 25-30 MPH, and I was greeted by the Discovery Bay Village Store and the Disco Bay Detour. I stopped at the latter to fill my bottles before getting ice cream at the former. The ice cream was a strong and refreshing vanilla. While talking to them, I found out that the store had likely been there when I last passed through town, but the "Detour" was a more recent addition.

There was also an outdoor gear exchange, which featured a human-powered canoe/kayak transport.

Before I finished my ice cream, I saw both a tandem couple and a couple of groups of tourists heading northwest on US 101.

And before I headed out, an older gentleman struck up a conversation after seeing my bike. He had a Surly Disc Trucker and was thinking about converting it into a Velo-Orange Polyvalent. When I pointed out some of the vintage-looking parts on my bike, I discovered that he was familiar with Jan Heine and the tires he designed. I told them that they were a little too puncture-prone. He was wondering if it was worth trading in his existing 26" wheels for 650B ones, and I told him my experience: the new crop of nice tires are largely limited to 700C and 650B, which 26" tire options being very limited.


My father took my partner and I on a camping trip on the Olympic Peninsula last year, and while driving through Discovery Bay, I discovered that the Olympic Discovery Trail had received some new off-highway right of way. I was pretty excited to check it out, and it was definitely an improvement!

When I got to the northwestern end of this section of trail, I discovered that one of the groups of cyclist had parked their car in the end of the trail. Based on what I saw of them later, it was pretty obvious that they were driving between these sections of trail to ride them, so they wouldn't need to ride on the highway ta all.

I rode Gardiner Road for a while before it joined back up with US 101. Toward the end of it, the leader of another group of cyclists passed me, but I ended up passing him again less than a mile later.

As I sped down the first descent towards Blyn, I noticed a new trail right of way to the east of the highway and took the first turn-off I could to check it out. I backtracked for a short while on the trail, and that group zipped by again.

After turning around, I rode the new trail section to its northwesternmost end, which dumped me out onto a side street that took me to what is likely going to be a future trail extension.

But then I jumped back on the highway for a short while prior to leaving it for a trail section I was familiar with.

However, what I wasn't familiar with was a bridge outage that forced me back onto the highway, and a dangerous bit of subsiding on the trail.

I had a feeling of dread as I entered Sequim Bay State Park as I had memories of gravel switchbacks and being yelled at to walk my bike, but I was pleasantly surprised by a new bridge over the ravine!

I stuck to the trail for much of the rest of the ride into Sequim, including the Morse Creek Trestle. Around here, I kept running into that group from earlier in addition to an older gentleman on an orange hybrid e-bike.

But then I switched over to the road for the final stretch.

Rather than heading straight into town to chill, I went over to Carrie Blake Park for some photos.

And then headed to downtown to snap some more quick photos.

Part 3: Inbound

I didn't stay in Sequim for long, as I knew I wanted to get to Fat Smitty's before down. I hunkered down for the 20-ish mile ride back to Discovery Bay on the shoulder of US 101. My only major stop was to get a gallon jug of water at the Discovery Bay Village Store to fill my bottles and then some.


Once at Fat Smitty's, I got their signature burger…which I had no idea was going to be huge!

View this post on Instagram

Finally! #cycling #bicycletouring #biketouring

A post shared by Neil E. Hodges (@takenji1989) on


Rather than sticking around to chill, I only waited long enough for my food to digest before heading up the US 101 and SR-104 climbs. At the junction between the two highways, I ran into a young couple while talking photos on US 101. They were touring from Bellingham to Olympia, and were hoping to stay in Quilcene that night. They stealth camped the previous night and were probably going to do the same again.

I was expecting the worst from this climb based on past rides, but it wasn't too bad! With the Sun below the horizon, I didn't even overheat. The following climbs all the way back to the Hood Canal Bridge were much easier than I recalled, too. The only downside was all of the people with their high beams on, despite that being illegal when there are oncoming cars, which there were plenty of. I never see this before dawn, only after dusk.

Rather than going to Bremerton as I had done in the past, I instead headed towards Bainbridge Island, using Big Valley to escape the traffic as before. Riding on the silent, pitch-black road at night with only my headlight to guide me was surreal. No wonder riding at night is so popular among randonneurs! I did feel a little sick to my stomach here and there because of the burger, but snacking on leftover fries helped a little.

While riding through Poulsbo, one of the lights was stuck for a long time. After seeing patrol cars around and K-9 units investigating one of the adjacent properties, it was pretty clear that the police were up to something. Thankfully, they did let the light turn green eventually.

At a point during the rolling hills southeast of Poulsbo, I discovered that the jug of water was leaking. With a mind that wasn't the clearest, I simply chucked the jug into a bush on the side of the road. Only after I'd ridden a bit further did I realize that I could've dumped the water and carried the empty jug until I found a recycle bin, and felt pretty awful about it the rest of the night.

I got to the ferry terminal at about 22:40, and skirted around the edge on the bike lane to the waiting area, shortly before the ferry that had just arrived started unloading. After it was done,the gate opened and the bell rang, shortly followed by a car honking their horn a couple of times for reasons that weren't clear to me at the time. When cars started to move, I realized that the bell was the signal to board, and felt stupid. I'm so used to attendants waving cyclists on, partially because all of the signs telling cyclists to wait.

Part 4: Return Home

Tired after riding nearly 200km—and very hilly ones at that!—I took the low route home. I got home a little after midnight, which meant that I literally started the month of September with cycling!

This ride ended up being more a miles ride than a scenery ride. I mainly wanted to see the new trail sections, but the excitement made me want to push a little harder to see Sequim, too!

No comments: