Saturday, October 19, 2019

Cross Kirkland Corridor (2019-10-05)

A short spin on a familiar trail.

Related albums:

This is the first ride other than a commute that I'd done on my Crust Romanceur since having the fenders and tires swapped. After much deliberation, I decided to switch to the Schwalbe Thunder Burt, which was recently discontinued in 26", so I eventually got a second pair for when these wear out.

More after the break…

I started much later this time, at 07:00, since I was planning on doing a shorter ride due to rain later in the day. The only thing I could think of for this ride was the Cross Kirkland Corridor, so I headed straight west across the SR 520 Trail.

Once in Northup, I left the SR 520 Trail route in favor of the Cross Kirkland Corridor's extension in Bellevue.

At the first bend in the trail, I noticed that the East Link Light Rail construction was underway, which explains the perpetual "under construction" status of that section of trail.

I cruised my way north along the trail, enjoying all of the green and trees around me. It's nice having this sort of escape from cars and buildings so close to home!

Even though it's always nice to ride it, the trail isn't very long. Before I knew it, I hit its northern end. When will it lead to something?

I quickly dropped down to the Sammamish River, where a large group of cyclists rode the shoulder by me while I stopped to take some photos of the river.

From there, I stayed on the Sammamish River Trail all the way to Bothell. While stopped at Wilmot Gateway Park, a younger guy with some bags on his bike stopped and asked me about how to get into bikepacking/bicycle touring. I told him that the easiest way was to find someone to ride with who has more experience with multi-day outdoor outings. I brought up Reddit, since that's where I found Kyle for the ride we did across Washington.

As I rode through Bothell, I switched over to the Burke–Gilman Trail, though further west than I usually would.

I was pretty starving by the time I got to Kenmore, so I stopped at the local McDonald's for a breakfast sandwich, which would later cause some bad indigestion because of the cheese.

I stuck with the trail the whole way to UW, where I stopped to snap some more photos.

While I was stopped, another young guy stopped to chat about bikes a bit. I recall us both sharing our appreciation for high-quality tires, fenders, and luggage. We exchanged names despite the fact it didn't seem likely for our paths to cross again, but who knows?

On the way home, I stopped by the shop, and ended up buying that second pair of Schwalbe Thunder Burts, as I was so impressed by their comfort and lack of slow feeling. I was also paranoid about the remaining stock depleting quickly.

No comments: