Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Sequim III (2014-10-04)

Headed out to Sequim again.

Some related albums:

More after the break…

Part 1: To Ferry

I started at the usual time of 05:00 and headed to take the ferry to Bainbridge Island, which I haven't done in quite some time.

Part 2: Kitsap & Olympic

I took Big Valley Road to cut across the Kitsap Peninsula.

That comment was spurred by how I wasn't going on my little chainring as much with an 11-32T cassette.

I stopped to eat at a trailhead I hadn't noticed before.

While there, I noticed these odd devices in bags on a fence.

Once across the Hood Canal Bridge, I took SR-104 and SR-19, but left the latter to use Larson Lake Road and Eaglemount Road.

That took me to SR-20, which I barreled down to get to US 101. I followed US 101 north to Discovery Bay where I saw that restaurant made of cabooses. The owner (who was a young 17) pulled up right after me and opened the place up, so I had some ice cream there.

I asked the owner about the strip of land that Google Maps marked as a bicycle trail ROW back when I used it to plan my routes, but he had no idea.

From there, I took the normal route towards Sequim, making use of Old Gardiner Road and part of the trail to Blyn.

Notably, the part of the trail that was incomplete last time was now finished, including fresh pavement on the nearby road.

I knew to avoid the trail through the state park due to gravel switchbacks, so I took the highway for a bit like last time. I then took the main road to downtown, where the farmers' market was underway..

I also got a blueberry muffin at a small bakery next door. It was nice because it was neither greasy nor overly sweet.

I left downtown Sequim and went on a small loop for some extra miles.

Once back there, I came across some people building a large sand sculpture.

Taking US 101 the whole way, I made my way back to J n K and stopped for a whopping three 12-ounce cups of coffee and a slice of the pizza the owner bakes there.

I chatted with some other customers while there. Someone mentioned how they like to give cyclists a good amount of room and it warmed my heart.

I soon left there via US 101.

Then climbed up SR-104. There are four or five long hills on that thing!

After crossing the hood canal bridge, I turned south on SR-3 and followed it all the way to Bremerton.

There were a few places along it where the shoulders were blocked off with alert signs and a place right at my exit ramp where the right lane was closed. Also, that annoying narrow bridge.

The right lane on SR-3 was closed around my exit ramp. The right lane of the ramp was also closed.

And then I got to the ferry terminal, where I waited for about 50 minutes for the ferry itself.

I chatted with a couple guys who were heading to work by bike and ferry while waiting.

Part 3: Return Home

Rather than taking my typical route up 4th Avenue, I used the new 2nd Avenue bike lane to head up the hill. The grade was easy, but I wasn't able to go very fast:

I'd noticed that my rear derailleur wasn't working so well a while back, but it was pretty darn terrible now.

As it turns out, the problem was a fraying shifter cable. That one only seems to last six months for me. Can't wait to learn how to use bar-end shifters, as they're much less abusive on the cables.

While I crossed the Fremont Bridge along the sidewalk (the sanctioned way of doing so), some lady was wandering left and right while walking across and staring down at her phone. There was a minor argument, but receiving verbal abuse is better than injuring someone or getting injured.

People seem to forget that the outdoors is a very dynamic place.

I got home at about 23:00, then went to bed.

No comments: