Monday, June 2, 2014

Oso (2014-05-31)

I was curious about how things were after the landslide, so I headed in that direction.

More after the break…

Part 1: To Arlington

I started at about 05:00 like usual and headed north via my typical route. The only thing to note was when I came across a jogger headed the same way in front of me. When I asked, "What are you doing here?", she just responded with, "Have a nice day."

I seemed to be moving faster, too. I was also getting the weird 'high' feeling in my head again, which I hadn't felt this early in a ride in ages.

To clarify, I was pedaling with my knees way out before, which harks back to when I was told to 'pull out' after an injury long ago. I went in for a bike fit last week, and she told me to pull in, but only enough to keep my knees aligned between my hips and the pedals.

As usual, I headed along my way through Alderwood Manner.

The tweet below really fits in with the theme of the many, many squeaky bikes with extreme amounts of cross-chaining I'd end up seeing throughout the day.

Then took the Interurban Trail for a short distance before using the Lowell route to downtown Snohomish and Rock City Cafe's new location, where I stopped to pick up water.

From there, I took my usual route through Snohomish, getting on the Centennial Trail a bit north of downtown. There were a lot more cyclists out than there had been during the Winter.

When I went through Arlington, I noticed that the new work on the Centennial Trail I had gone through last time was pretty much done, with poles moved and more lighting installed.

Part 2: North Fork Stillaguamish

I left Arlington via SR-530, which follows the north fork of the Stillaguamish River. I've gone along the south fork a number of times, most recently when I went to Verlot, but I hadn't followed the north fork before.

This is in reference to the landslide.

I ran across what is supposed to be the bicycle route through the area, but doesn't really exist: the Whitehorse Trail.

This sign really says it all:

And Google Maps will even route cyclists along it! I knew it didn't really exist, so I routed around it.

For those who are curious, the westernmost end of the railroad ROW which is said to be used for the Whitehorse Trail is here, visible from the Centennial Trail (from this ride):

I then headed through inner Oso.

And out toward that mudslide. I stopped short of it due to a line of cars that dissipated, but I didn't want to deal with the construction crews getting confused by my presence.

While I now know where the landslide is, I really don't want to deal with the construction backups and other mess out here.

Sat Apr 26 13:05:48 2014

Below is what SR-530 looked like at the site of the landslide the day before this ride.

I turned around and started heading back toward Oso.

There were a bunch of emergency vehicles all over the place.

On the way through Oso, I noticed some signs for Oso Mill Days, so I decided to check it out.

The way back wasn't too easy.

Near Arlington, I came across what looked like old concrete panels beside the road. I didn't see any indication of what they were, however.

When I got to Arlington, I came across someone who had 'experienced' the railroad tracks due south and had some bloody scrapes. He was otherwise fine, though.

Part 3: Return Home

I made my way back south through Arlington, chatting with a few other cyclists along the way.

These caterpillars were all over the trails and roads throughout the day:

It was a fairly routine ride along the Centennial Trail back to Snohomish, aside from the winds being rather annoying. At a few points along the way, I had other cyclists drafting behind me.

However, when I got to Snohomish, I had a not-so-fun encounter with a driver who reminded me why 'bike paths' are bad:

I arrived at Rock City Cafe a couple hours earlier than I would typically arrive even though I covered more distance so far, due to my proper pedaling style allowing me to hammer harder and for longer.

The guy who works there Saturday evenings really knows what I always order around that time.

With a caffeine boost in my system, I made my way up the big hill that is SR-9 back to Woodinville. It was easier than it's been before due to my feet not slipping like they would with platform pedals.

And then, taking the same route through Woodinville as last time, I got to Wilmot Gateway Park.

It was a fairly routine ride from there along the Burke-Gilman Trail.

I was thinking after seeing everyone: It's strange how nobody uses kickstands and prefers to just toss their bikes on the ground. I doubt most riders care about saving the tiny amount of weight involved. And battery lights bring about another thing to think about (charging them, specifically), so dynamos also make a lot of sense.

Rather than following the Burke-Gilman Trail detour through UW, I just took Stevens Way to NE 40th St and followed the cycletrack until Brooklyn Ave, which I took down to NE Pacific Street. I then followed Northlake Way under I-5.

This eventually took me to where SDOT was resurfacing Northlake Way, and I came across some old, buried railroad tracks in brick.

From there, I did my normal thing, getting onto the Burke-Gilman Trail again under SR-99, and taking that all the way to NW 45th St's cycle track.

For the longest time, I've watched cars use the cycle track as though it was a single car lane. Thankfully, SDOT put in some physical barriers, which should help with that.

I got home at a reasonable time, thanks to the better performance brought about by proper pedaling style.

Post a Comment