Friday, March 8, 2019

Sumner Out and Back (2019-03-02)

Tried to do 85 miles after not only not having ridden for a while, but with a major change to my bike fit. My saddle's been too low for a very long time, which built up my hamstrings but weakened my quads. With my saddle where it is now, my quads were finally called into action, but they tired out too quickly. I ended up doing only 63 miles.

More after the break…

Part 1: Ountbound

I started at about 5:00 AM as usual, then headed south through Downtown, taking a brief pause to look at the Alaskan Way Viaduct's current state. At multiple points, I heard sirens from emergency responses.

My route was the usual one along 1st Avenue S, 4th Avenue S, and East Marginal Way S.

There were more sirens in Tukwila, too. What was going on?

For a while, I'd been progressively adding more layers to warm up until I was in full rain gear. Thankfully, after the Sun was in the sky as I arrived to the Interurban Trail, I was able to stay warm without much effort.

When I got to 15th Ave NW, I jumped over to the C Street Trail, then passed by the still closed City of Pacific Park.

After riding along local streets for a while, I made it to the Sumner Link Trail.

And then hit Sumner. I felt like it'd be a good chance to eat something other than the burritos I've been packing as of late, so I looked for a cafe. In the past, I hadn't had much luck in Sumner, but I saw a sidewalk sign advertising the Sumner Cafe, so I checked it out.

I got the feeling that the folks running it weren't too experienced, but it was still a nice break nonetheless.

Part 2: Return via Auburn

I started heading back home once done at the cafe, and discovered that the old truss bridge had been replaced by a new bridge still under construction.

Once I started heading north, I noticed the constant howl from a headwind. After fighting it for long enough, I decided that it might be a good idea to catch a bus back to Seattle.

I did try to ride to Kent, but decided against it when I got about halfway between Auburn and Kent, and turned around to head for Auburn Station instead.

Part 3: Return Home

I felt better after getting off the bus in Downtown Seattle, and decided to add enough distance to meet the 100km mark. That meant heading over to the western end of the SR-520 Trail.

After a quick stop there, I rode back to Fremont to chat with my local bike shop.

And then rode home, very tired.

No comments: