Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Granite Falls and Lake Roesiger (2019-03-23)

A very rewarding 100km ride because of all of the climbing.

Related albums:

More after the break…

Part 1: To Bus

As usual, I started at about 5 AM, but this time I headed straight for the northbound freeway station in the University District to take the bus to Snohomish County

Part 2: Snohomish County

After a quick stop at Everett Station, I started on may way to Snohomish via the Hewitt Avenue Trestle, where I had to stop to take photos of the fog rolling over the Snohomish River. I also put my rain jacket on at this point because I knew the fog would chill me.

Between Everett and Snohomish was the usual farmland with some minor climbs here and there. Snohomish did look a little different, with businesses shuffled around and some having disappeared since my last visit.

After stopping by the bike shop's old location, I remembered that they had moved and tried looking around for their new location.

View this post on Instagram

I was wondering where these guys ended up. #cycling

A post shared by Neil E. Hodges (@takenji1989) on

The new location ended up being a ways out of downtown, on the Centennial Trail.

I headed north on the Centennial Trail through Machias, then took a little detour to get onto SR-92. The detour involved new roads and a convenience store I'd never seen before.

And then followed SR-92 all the way out to Granite Falls. It was very nice getting to ride SR-92, as it's been a very long time.

Right after the climb into town, I stopped for a minute to set up a photo with the town's sign. Right after I'd taken my own photo, a pickup truck pulled off the road. The guy driving it was the owner of the local Ace Hardware, and he was asking me where I was riding from. He said he was thinking about going on a bike ride, but he couldn't because he was pulling up trees for folks. He did this for quick cash, and was doing it for significantly less than the tree removal professionals in the area. He asked me about my route, and he said it was a good one, though he'd do it on his motorcycle instead.

I followed my route after that, before realizing that I'd like to get photos in town, which involved another detour.

The town soon gave way to rural Snohomish County as I headed south.

One very short, banked climb up a caught me off guard and I quickly bailed because it was so steep and out of nowhere. I'd later bail on another one because I heard chain noise and was afraid of my chain jumping, but it was actually rubbing on my front derailleur and not my cassette, so I made a policy of trimming my front derailluer proactively.

After a wrong turn north of Lake Roesiger, I found where I was supposed to leave the main road: a downhill hairpin turn, which was covered in enough fine gravel to convince me to treat it like an out-and-back switchback.

The short, punchy climbs as I headed down the west side of the lake sure didn't disappoint! I was hoping to hit up the Lake Roesiger General Store, but my route down the west side kept me a good distance from it. I would've had to ride halfway back up the lake if I wanted to do it, and I really didn't want to at that point. My quads were aching already!

A mile or two south of the lake—after rejoining the main road—a couple of young women on steel bikes with drop bars and front baskets (my people!) rode up and asked me where I was headed. We couldn't chat for long because a car eventually caught up to us, so they went ahead and the car passed. Not much later, a guy on a similar style of bike rode up and we chatted for a good five minutes or so. While chatting, I ended up pushing myself a bit more than I should've to keep up—it wasn't hard, but I felt it after. He said they were all in the same group, and that there were more riders behind them. After talking bike, he pulled away to catch up with the two women and it wasn't long before I stopped to eat. Because I pulled off the main road for a farming valley road alternative, I never ended up seeing the rest of the group.

The last long descent from the foothills triggered memories of my previous time in the area, where I'd been heading up that climb. I didn't hit another major climb after this, as I diverged from the main road via Yeager Road's route through a quiet farming valley.

I rejoined the main road yet again for the last leg before Monroe. I was sick to my stomach at this point, so when I did get into Monroe, I stopped by the local Safeway for a sugary soda. I thought about eating a cupcake there, but didn't want to end up sick from the sugar.


I was considering taking US 2 instead of the old road, but decided to take the old road after all, despite the hills. It ended up being an enjoyable leg, but had to deal with lots of cars passing. If I'd taken US 2, the wide shoulder meant that I wouldn't have had to deal with it.

By the time I got to Snohomish, I desperately craved starches, so I got a corn muffin at the Snohomish Bakery, which hit the spot.


The ride between Snohomish and Everett was full-on limping. My quads were so beat from the higher saddle position that I had to stop every few miles! I took the Lowell Riverfront Trail, then walked up the road bridge over the railroad tracks, before largely coasting to Everett Station.

While waiting for the bus in Everett, I discovered that one of the nuts holding my front rack on was missing, and might've been missing for quite a while. I made a note to pick up the necessary parts on the way home, since that's a major safety issue!


While on the bus, I heard from the driver that some car tried to pass him on the northbound I-5 onramp from 164th Street SW and ended up hitting the Jersey barrier, breaking their front axle, and falling into the adjacent ditch. The bus was unscathed, but I'm sure the other driver didn't fare so well.

Part 3: Return Home

When back in Seattle, I took the less steep route down to the BGT. My only major stop was at FreeRange Cycles to chat about the ride with both the owner and some customers. One guy was talking about commuting the 520 Trail daily, and I told him I would get so tired of it because of how up and down it is. It's great for a weekend ride, but not daily! I was able to obtain a heavily serrated lock washer to replace the one that I'd noticed missing while waiting for the bus earlier, too.

I did have to make one other stop at my local hardware store for a new cap nut to replace the missing one. Rather than waiting 'til I got home, I put it on while sitting next to my bike in the store's parking lot.

No comments: