Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Tracyton (2019-01-26)

A little spin down the Kitsap Peninsula.

Related albums:

More after the break…

I had originally intended to start this ride at 5 AM like always, but I forgot to set my alarm the night before and woke up at 4:30 instead of 3:00. Since there was no way for me to take care of everything in a half-hour, I pushed the start time to 6 AM. Aside from needing to wait for the ferry for an hour, it didn't really change the ride much.

Part 1: To Ferry

I had a difficult time trying to figure out how to get to the ferry due to the Colman Dock construction. The old entrance was closed, so I asked a couple of police officers who were walking along. They told me to go a few blocks further south, and that's where I found the temporary entrance.

Despite the overall nice weather, I was pretty cold by the time the ferry showed up.


Part 2: Kitsap Peninsula

Part 2: Kitsap County

I thought the climb over Bainbridge Island would be the same as always, but the city added a new bike trail from the ferry dock to all the way to the top of the hill.

Sound to Olympics Trail: A new trail from the ferry dock up to High School Road NE.

After that, it was business as usual. By the time I got to Poulsbo, I had to take a break as it had been a while since I'd done so many consecutive hill climbs.

Rather than using SR-3 to head down the peninsula, I took Viking Avenue and avoided a major climb to the freeway. When I got to Scandia, I hung a left onto a road that was new to me.

Scandia Road NW: A nice little pocket of farmland on the peninsula.

I tried to climb up the steep hill, but after two attempts, I bailed and walked. It wasn't that it was too steep, it was that I got wigged out.

Despite that, I still enjoyed all of the rural scenery.

Fire Station 42
Central Valley: A nice little pocket of farmland on the peninsula.
Central Valley Road NW: A nice little pocket of farmland on the peninsula.

My route crossed over SR-303 before it headed over the next real climb up Nels Nelson Road, which was about as difficult as the earlier one would've been. I didn't feel so bad anymore since I managed to winch my way up it. In fact, after all the riding and climbing, I felt like I was in a good rhythm, unlike on shorter rides.

Not long after a little more downs and ups, I entered the city of Tracyton. This was the first sign that I'd never actually been through this area, as I didn't see this town last time. My route through the town was pretty dumb, with a very steep and short climb just to avoid the main road. I had to double back to see the actual main area of town.

Tracyton Post Office
Tracyton Food Mart
Crust Romanceur at Tracyton Pub
Tracyton Pub
Gary's Tracyton Garage

I left Tracyton via Tracyton Beach Road, which provided some very nice scenery along the water.

Tracyton Beach Road NW
Tracyton Beach
Tracyton Beach Road NW

Climbing a few hills and dealing with another strange routing choice from RideWithGPS, I eventually made it to my crossing of the Port Washington Narrows over the Manette Bridge, which offered some very nice views.

Port Washington Narrows
Manette
Mountains Over Bremerton
Houses Over Port Washington Narrows

After crossing the bridge, it wasn't even a mile to the ferry terminal, though the streets were a bit confusing.

Bremerton Ferry Terminal: Heading home.

The usual hour-long ferry ride followed thereafter.

Part 3: Return Home

The ride home was mostly the same as always, albeit pretty slow because my legs were tired after the hill climbing. I did have to stop to eat not even a mile before getting home because I was starving.

No comments: