Tuesday, January 17, 2017

North Lake Washington and Evergreen Point Floating Bridge (2016-12-30)

Around the north end of Lake Washington, out and back on the Evergreen Point Floating Bridge, and back across via the Homer M. Hadley Memorial Bridge.

More after the break…

I started the ride at 06:00 instead of 05:00:

There was some minor drizzle, but nothing particularly annoying as I headed north and rounded the northern end of Lake Washington along the Burke–Gilman Trail.

I left the trail right before Bothell and headed along the lower of the two common routes to Juanita. I finally left that road when I got to Forbes Creek, then headed up the valley, away from Lake Washington and toward the Central Kirkland Corridor.

At certain points when I got out of the saddle to climb, I got some wheelslip on my rear wheel because of the mossy, wet asphalt. Thankfully, this bike doesn't mind that.

My first attempt to get to the trail didn't work so well due to steepness and overgrowth.

The second access point was much better, and would've been easy on a bike with knobby tires.

Once up that, I was on my way through Kirkland.

At the end of the trail, I headed west.

And then got onto the SR-520 Trail.

I eventually got to the bridge itself, whose trail was pretty lumpy for being paved with concrete. Most of the trail users at the time were joggers and walkers.

There were plenty of great views of Seattle, too.

The trail ended fairly abruptly and well before Portage Bay.

So I headed back a ways, and then rode along roads through Beaux Arts Village to get to Old Bellevue, where I stopped for coffee

I left Old Bellevue via Bellevue Way, which wasn't too heavily-trafficked. I did get a bit of a surprise hill when my route told me to take a hard right, which got me to walk up it. There was a more gradual incline without a sharp turn right before, but my directions didn't specify them.

My entry onto the I-90 Trail was right before the bridge to Mercer Island, and I stuck to the trail all the way to the Seattle side of the lake.

I then took the middle-high road through Fink Park and Leschi Park, which was completely new to me.

Following the Lake Washington Loop all the way to Montlake, I didn't have much trouble with the climb, indicating that my saddle position was finally getting close. I felt my hamstrings doing more work than usual, but my quads also pulling their weight.

Since my friend—an employee of the shop—was away on vacation, I left and headed out to the Burke–Gilman Trail again. Right before actually hitting the trail, I noticed low pressure in my rear tire, so I high-tailed it to Recycled Cycles where I changed the tube in the comfort of the shop (and kept the tube for later patching).

On the way home from the University District, I stopped by FreeRange Cycles to chat for a bit.

Post a Comment