Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Foothills Loop (2015-05-09)

After a couple of incomplete loops due to bad circumstances, I finally managed to complete it proper. I finalized my fit adjustment technique, which has allowed me to make better progress than ever before on it.

Related albums:

More after the break…

I recently had the cockpit of Red Miles converted to use bar-end shifters, and this was their big test ride.

I also had Schwalbe Marathon tires installed in place of the Marathon Plus ones I had been using, as the latter were uncomfortable.

Part 1: To Carbon River

I started at the usual time of 05:00, and headed south on my typical route through downtown and SoDo. Rather than staying on the big road through Tukwila, however, I crossed at the South Park Bridge and took the Green River Trail from its start.

I followed the trail all the way to the detour, which I recalled from last time. Unlike last time, however, I didn't make the mistake of following that route and stuck to 64th Ave S all the way until W Meeker Street, then got back onto the trail there.

Running low on water, I turned into downtown Auburn, only to find a long freight train slowly trundling its way through. Rather than waiting, I just went to a diner I've seen many times for water.

I ended up ordering a small plate of biscuits and gravy.

I then got back onto the Interurban Trail for a little bit, then jumped over to the C Street Trail, and then the E Valley Highway, which I took into Sumner. I just passed right through Sumner, taking SR-162 to the Foothills Trail.

On that trail, I slowly gained on a roadie paceline until a faster roadie paceline passed me. I joined that one, drafting off it to pass the slower one, and didn't see the latter again until I stopped to use the restroom in Orting.

From Orting, I took the Foothills Trail to where South Prairie Creek splits off the Carbon River, then followed the latter on a small, quiet road. The public road ended at the base of a big hill, the top of which housed a number of "20 to 30 acre properties" that were being advertised.

Part 1: To Bothell

After taking photos of the river, I then zipped back down the road to SR-162 and took it to the Foothills Trail again, which I followed to South Prairie.

It started getting rather warm as I made my way through Buckley and Enumclaw. At least the bridge wasn't out like last time.

I've developed an aversion to taking SR-169 between Enumclaw and Black Diamond after dealing with the steep bridge with only a shoulder on the downhill side, so I headed through Cumberland instead. The general store there is a nice stop, too, as most of them are.

After Cumberland, I made my way through the middle of nowhere to Kangley, then hung a left to get to Ravensdale, and then a right to head north to Hobart. Between Ravensdale and Kangley, there's a gated community miles from pretty much anything, which seems pointless as nobody else would even want to go out there.

After going through Hobart, I just continued downhill to Issaquah where I finally got coffee. One of the road's shoulders was packed with cars despite signs.

Since I was in Issaquah, I decided to pop by Bicycle Center of Issaquah to chat with Kent for a bit.

This also put me on the west side of the major north-south thoroughfare in Issaquah, which I thought would be a good idea since getting to the trail under I-90 is always a bit of an undertaking with it there. Unfortunately, it didn't do any good at all, and I had to walk a bit through a park to pass though, and I had to deal with a diagonal thoroughfare after anyway.

Once past I-90, I got onto the East Lake Sammamish Parkway, then followed it to Marymoor Park. There were a lot of cyclists around the area, but especially in the park.

I then got onto the Sammamish River Trail and followed it to Bothell. I passed another roadie paceline along the way, despite the long day on a heavy bike with a load.

When I got to Bothell, I left the trail at Cascadia/UW Bothell, then skirted downtown Bothell before heading north to the Canyon Park area, the destination of my ride.

No comments: