Sunday, April 3, 2022

Port Angeles (2022-03-05)

Went on a motorcycle ride out along the Olympic Peninsula to Port Angeles. It was such a beautiful day for it, too!

Previous albums:

More after the break…

Part 1: To Ferry

As usual, I started early and took SR-99 between Fremont and downtown Seattle. After getting off the SR-99 and while I was waiting to turn left on Second Avenue, I saw a one driver making poor decisions: they ran a red light on a cross street right as the car in front of me was starting. I hadn't started moving, though, so it didn't have much of an impact on me. Aside from that, it was pretty much business as usual as I made my way to the ferry terminal.


I had to wait quite a while for the ferry this time, but that gave me time to chat with another motorcycle rider who was headed out that way. Pretty sure he was riding an NT700V, though, and not an NT1100. He had the Honda Deauville panniers installed, which are typically found on the European version of the bike. He mentioned that his shop took care of getting them to fit.

Part 2: Outbound

Part 2: Outbound

After making my way across Bainbridge Island to the Kitsap Peninsula, I headed straight to Poulsbo. After hitting the restroom at the local Central Market, I then obtained breakfast at Wendy's, since it's kind of hard to get at home without driving, and my past bicycle tours taught me to appreciate fast food breakfasts.

Poulsbo Wendy's: Got a couple of breakfast sandwiches here.

I then cruised through Big Valley, across the Hood Canal Bridge, and over the neck of the Quimper Peninsula along SR-104/US 101 to Jamestown/Blyn where I took a quick break for photos and the restroom.

Jamestown Rest Area Restrooms
Jamestown Native American Art Installation
Clallam Transit Bus Stop
Sequim Bay
Sequim Bay
Hardwick Point
7 Cedars Resort
Triumph Bonneville at Jamestown Rest Area

My next stop was in Sequim, similarly for photos of the area.

Triumph Bonneville T120 in Sequim
Sequim Houses
Downtown Sequim
Hurricane Coffee Company & Lavish Day Spa
Downtown Sequim
Sequim Senior Nutrition
Downtown Sequim
Clallam Transit Bus Shelter
The Co-Op Family and Garden

One thing that really caught my eye was the vacant Texaco that was in great shape. With my retro Bonneville, it looked like these photos could've been taken decades ago!

Triumph Bonneville at Old Sequim Texaco
Triumph Bonneville at Old Sequim Texaco

I then hit Port Angeles, which I last visited years ago on a very cold bicycle tour. While I was walking around and taking photos, the MV Coho had just docked for loading before departing for Victoria across the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

MV Coho and Black Ball Ferry Line Pier
MV Coho
MV Coho
Port Angeles Dock
Port Angeles
US Coast Guard Ships
Cable Innovator
219 N Oak Street
Port Angeles
W Front Street
Port Angeles
Port Angeles
Port Angeles
Port Angeles Wharf
Port Angeles Visitor Center
Port Angeles Inn

While I was in town, I decided to check out a local Asian restaurant. I had sushi on my mind, but ended up getting teriyaki instead since the sushi selection was so limited.


Before leaving the area, I thought this would be the perfect chance to check out the spit of land between Port Angeles and the waters of the Strait: Ediz Hook. The ride out there was pretty slow-paced, with a very slow section through the McKinley Paper Company's plant. Once at the end, I think I ended up parking in a private parking space, but I wasn't sure. Thankfully, there weren't many people around, so I don't think anybody minded that my bike sat there for a little while.

McKinley Paper Company
Ediz Hook Beach
Ediz Hook Road
Puget Sound Pilots
Puget Sound Pilots' Ships
Triumph Bonneville on Ediz Hook

At the end of the hook, there was a park with a couple of seemingly abandoned buildings.

Abandoned Building on Ediz Hook
Abandoned Building on Ediz Hook
Ediz Hook Boat Ramp

The view of Port Angeles Harbor was very expansive!

Port Angeles Harbor and Mountains

And I'm pretty sure I could see Victoria, BC across the Strait.

Victoria, BC

Part 3: Inbound

With my business in Port Angeles done, I started heading back home. As I left Port Angeles and made my way through Sequim, I was not far behind a Suzuki Burgman scooter and a Subaru both passing pretty much everybody going 90 MPH at least! By the time the road necked down to two lanes past Sequim, I was right behind them, but ended up losing them because I pulled of at tho Longhouse Market & Deli in Blyn for a break.

While taking said break, I discovered that I was missing my earplug case. I must've left it on my seat on Ediz Hook and ridden off without packing it again.

When I pulled into Discovery Bay, I was sad to see that the Discovery Bay Store and sporting goods store were both closed again. Are they seasonal, or did COVID kill them both off?

Rather than dealing with downtown Seattle again, my route sent me out to the Kingston ferry. I was worried about having to wait in the waiting lane on the highway, but thankfully there weren't that many people waiting for the ferry. I was even able to pull all the way up to the motorcycle waiting area for a very short wait!

Part 4: Return Home

After leaving the ferry, I took side streets along a confusing route that took me through Richmond Beach. I'd heard of the place a number of times, but this was my first visit!

After climbing a bit further, I took a route that paralleled but avoided SR-99 before returning to familiar territory for the last leg home.

No comments: