Monday, September 6, 2021

Carbon River Entrance by Motorcycle (2021-08-28)

Took my partner down to one of my favorite remote spots.

This was my first intentional scooter tour with my partner on the back. We'd ridden before, but it was more of a destination ride.

More after the break…

Outbound

We started at about 08:30 and headed straight south along SR-99, then got onto SR-599. Both of us commented on how freeways look like vast expanses of concrete when not in a car.

Our first stop was at Cedar River Park, which caught my eye with its water slide.

A corgi show was setting up for the day, too.


The next leg of our route was along SR-169. After my past rides through the Duwamish/Green River valley, I decided that this more rural route would be more enjoyable. On the other hand, passing through Maple Valley gave me flashbacks to when I was lost in the woods around there.

When we arrived at Black Diamond, we left SR-169 for my partner's surprise: a visit to the Black Diamond Bakery and Restaurant, where we ate a cinnamon roll and got some pastries to go. We also hit up the local smoked meat shop for some of the best pepperoni sticks and beef jerky we've ever had. Thankfully, with the top case, we didn't have to worry about jamming things into the scooter like I had to last time.


We continued along SR-169 all the way to Enumclaw, where we came across the Enumclaw Motorcycle Show and FXR Rally. There were hundreds of motorcycles there!


After leaving Enumclaw via SR-410, we passed through Buckley, followed by SR-165, which we took all the way to the ranger station.

I brought cash to pay the park fee, but when I went to pay it, the park ranger fetched another ranger who said we didn't have to pay since we weren't actually entering the park. He also mentioned that there was a big washout just before the real park entrance. Oh, and they only accepted card payments due to the pandemic.

We arrived to the end of the road at the washout to both sides fully flanked by parked cars. Thankfully, we found a spot to park the scooter so we could wander around a bit. The main entrance to the park was still there beyond the washout, but a big tree was threatening to crush it. Once we were done wandering around, we sat to eat a small picnic. As we ate, we saw a few groups of cyclists rolling into and out of the park.

Inbound

As we started to leave, we both saw a guy on a KTM dirt bike in one of the campsites. Is that permitted? There were also so many motorcycles along Carbon River Road and Lake Mowich Road!

Our next stop was at the Fairfax Bridge, which I wanted to get some photos of.


Since my partner was starting to fall asleep, I thought we could stop by the Carbonado Saloon to get her a Diet Coke, but it ended up being closed for the day.

As we rode through town, I noticed that they'd completely repaved the main road. Last time I was there, it was in much worse shape! My partner said that the town weirded her out because all of the houses were packed in so tightly without much in the way of yards, which I thought was likely because it was a company town.

We also noticed what appeared to be an old mausoleum in a park in town. Was the old cemetery there?


Since we were unable to find a soda for her in Carbonado, we headed to Wilkeson instead, but via the back road that passes by the Carbonado Cemetery instead of the highway. When we got to Wilkeson, there were a number of motorcycles parked there, which we thought were from the show in Enumclaw.

We were making pretty good time, so I decided to take the back way around Sugarloaf Mountain and through Hobart. When we arrived in Hobart, she really needed a nap, so she laid on the bench with her head in my lap while I ate some more of the food from our earlier picnic.


We made our way back to SR-169, then followed it to Renton where we then went along a bit of the Lake Washington Loop before crossing I-5 via S Holgate Street/Beacon Avenue S, which was quite a surprise to me with how how the bridge was.

After passing through SoDo, we ended up in game day traffic and had to wait several minutes to get to the SR-99 tunnel because police were directing traffic. We should've really gone through Georgetown and hit SR-99 further south!

Once on SR-99, it wasn't long before we arrived at home and we were able to finally unwind.

This trip taught me that, after I'd been riding for a while, my ability to stop smoothly would degrade due to tiredness and anxiety. To combat this, I developed a technique where I'd exhale slowly as I stop so I'd stop smoothly more consistently after I'd been riding for a while. Seems to work!

No comments: