Sunday, November 4, 2018

Issaquah (2018-10-27)

What started out a fairly simple Metric century ended up being marred by confusing directions and several "TRAIL CLOSED" signs.

More after the break…

Outbound

I started at about 5:15 in the morning, then headed east along Burke-Gilman Trail and 520 Trail. I was pretty tired of going through downtown or around the north end of Lake Washington, so I thought this would be a good change of pace. The route was fine all the way until Bellevue, but I was given an unfriendly reminder of how the trail exits the city: a steep climb followed by a tight turn that needs to be taken at low speed.

At one road crossing along the section of trail east of Bellevue, I was making an adjustment while this white pickup truck just stopped in the road, no hazards flashing or anything. A car behind them honked and went around, but it was a while before the truck finally got moving again, and at a slow speed. It stopped about a block away again, and I felt pretty creeped out as I rode away.

I left the trail at NE 36th Street, after the first of many wrong turns in the area. My route involved several turns and going through small streets, while I slowly immersed myself in fog over the distance.

After a bit of a descent followed by a small rise, West Lake Sammamish Parkway jumped out of the fog, and I followed the road south towards Issaquah.

The sky gradually lightened as I headed towards Issaquah, but the fog didn't dissipate. My face was soaked as I got into town.

Inbound

After taking the few photos, I headed back north along the Rainier Greenway, which follows the old Northern Pacific line through town. The remaining tracks are the home of the Issaquah Valley Trolley, whose main vehicle is an old streetcar with a diesel generator onboard.

Once I'd crossed NW Gilman Boulevard, I got a nasty surprise: the trail closure was still in effect.

However, this time, there was a detour sign, which sent me on a confusing route that never returned to the trail! I had to leave the supposed detour route and find my own way back to the trail!

There were still a number of "TRAIL CLOSED" signs along the supposed detour route, too.

Once on the road, it was pretty trivial to get back to the trail. It's a shame Issaquah can't figure out how to be helpful here.

While cycling advocates have been fighting hard for a long time to get this trail paved, I still find myself preferring the old, unpaved version of the trail.

I thought I was done with detours, until I ran into yet another "TRAIL CLOSED" sign.

And had to ride on East Lake Sammamish Parkway for a while.

There was no clear sign of when it was safe to return to the trail, but I just picked a driveway that gave me a clear view of the trail, which showed the trail as being open.

It was nice seeing a new restroom on the last stretch of the trail.

After missing my turn into Marymoor Park, I turned around and headed through the park and back toward Seattle on the Sammamish River Trail.

When I passed through Bothell, the Sammamish River Trail looked a bit too busy, so I took my usual route along the Burke-Gilman Trail through there instead.

The rest of the ride home was pretty routine, other than a quick stop for a drink at a grocery store.

And a stop at FreeRange Cycles to talk about some bike fit analysis.

I finally got home a little before 3 PM.

No comments: