Friday, September 28, 2018

Green and Cedar Rivers III (2018-09-23)

A largely unplanned metric century.

Related albums:

My original idea was to go to Sumner and back, but along the way, I decided to do something a bit more interesting.

More after the break…

Outbound

I started at about 6 PM and went via the Arboretum—Lake Washington Loop route out of Seattle. I was pretty tired of going through downtown and SoDO over and over again, so I wanted to shake it up.

Along this leg, I decided to head east out of Renton along the Cedar River Trail, a personal favorite of mine that I hadn't seen in too long.

It was pretty obvious that it had rained recently, but I didn't see any falling.

When I got to where SR-18 crosses the Cedar River, I discovered that I store of which I was fond had shut down. The folks in the gas station next door said it closed 8 months prior. It had been around since 1952, but things have changed too much for it since then.


I kept going along the Cedar River Trail after it switched to gravel, as this section is still special to me.

I turned around at Landsburg.

And then took the easy road to Maple Valley, which had recently been repaved.

Followed by SR-169 to Black Diamond. After all, I couldn't head into these foothills without stopping there! It was also a good thing I chose this route, because Ravensdale—Black Diamond Road was closed.

At the bakery, I got a bismark that was stuffed full with a crazy amount of cream! I'd never seen a doughnut like that before.


When I decided to head out this way, I originally was considering taking the steep drop on Green Valley Road, but after seeing how wet everything was, decided to take 218th Ave SE which I remembered from last time.

While out there, I saw a dump truck dumping watermelons all over a farm for the cows to eat. They loved it!

And just after I crossed the old Northern Pacific mainline, a train started blaring its horn. I'm glad I didn't have to wait here.

But I did have to wait for an hour at Auburn since the bus pulled up right after I did. I wasn't going to even suggest that the driver wait for me to unload as I'm not that inconsiderate.


The hour passed fairly quickly, thankfully, and I was headed up to Seattle with enough time to not miss any of the evening's events.

Return home

The final leg home was thankfully pretty uneventful.

No comments: