Thursday, August 16, 2018

Green River Out and Back (2018-08-12)

My first half century in quite some time.

I was originally planning to ride with my partner, but she was having breathing troubles due to both the humidity and the smoke in the air. I'd noticed that the sunlight reaching the ground had been strangely yellow for at least a week, but nobody pointed anything out regarding air quality until the day after this ride. This ride's length wasn't planned at all, so I stretched my food reserves out too thinly.

More after the break…

Outbound

My ride started at about 07:30 that day. I took my usual route to downtown, though had to make a detour due to the Belltown Chalk Art Festival in Bell Street Park.

I then continued south through SoDo, Georgetown, and Allentown. At the Duwamish Hill Preserve, I gave some directions to a pair of cyclists who were heading generally the same direction I was. I started off by telling them my route, but then realized that it'd be pretty complicated for them to follow, so then I pulled out my phone and gave them the shortest route to the trail.

I stopped at another nearby park to eat at the edge of the Green River. While eating, I saw the pair riding on the trail.

After joining the Green River Trail at the usual place, I took it to the Interurban Trail, which I took straight south.

I noticed that the trail connector that had previously been under construction during my last trip here was finally fully complete.


My next stop was at the Starbucks in Kent, where I ate a sandwich and had my bottles filled.


Inbound

Rather than simply turning back at downtown Kent, I decided to check out some of the area of the Green River Trail east of the Interurban Trail that most folks miss. Unlike the rest of the area, that bit of the river still feels "new" to me.

Once done there, I headed back on Frager Road just like old times.

And then jumped onto the Green River Trail at South 212th Street. This area of the trail is pretty boring to me, but I did see some new stuff along the way.

I was definitely happy when I saw a new bridge across the Green River.

I had the idea to take the Lake Washington Loop route home, but I was pretty beat by the time I got to Tukwila. Most of it was probably not eating enough food, which caused both physical fatigue and excessive mental fatigue. In any case, I decided to take the Green/Duwamish River route to South Park, then go through Georgetown and SoDO, basically rewinding my outbound route.

By the time I got to downtown, I was really feeling the salt pressure from all the Nuun, which was much worse than usual since I hadn't eaten enough food. I stopped at Zeitgeist to get some water and a root beer to see if that'd help.


I felt a little better after that, but I definitely was done when I got home. I was sick to my stomach and even threw up a little in my mouth, which prompted me to slowly eat some leftovers so I'd have something in my stomach. I also had a horrible headache, so I took a short nap after that.

I felt much better after the rest, thankfully. It was a good ride, but I definitely need to plan food out more.

No comments: