Friday, May 31, 2019

Silverton (2019-05-27)

Not quite to Barlow Pass, but definitely a beautiful ride!

Related albums:

After getting sunburned on my previous long ride, my partner pushed the idea of sunscreen and I listened this time.

More after the break…

Part 1: To Bus

I started at about 5:00 and headed over to the University District freeway station as I'd done for the past few rides. Due to it being the middle of Spring, the sky was so bright at that hour!

Part 2: Outbound

As soon as I got off the bus, I noticed one of Lime's new electric scooters, which I'd never seen in the area before. I did see them in Portland when my partner and I visited the previous weekend.

View this post on Instagram

It begins. #limescooter

A post shared by Neil E. Hodges (@takenji1989) on

When I planned this, I used last time's route, and was under the assumption that I was going out via Snohomish and returning via SR-204. Accordingly, I headed for Snohomish along my usual route north of the river.

Only when I arrived to Snohomish did I realize that my route went out on SR-204 and returned via Snohomish. At this point, it didn't really matter, so I took the normal route through Machias.

And then I left the Centennial Trail to take SR-92 out to Granite Falls, which was still as nice as always. Once I got into town, I noticed something that I found amusing: a combination McDonald's and Shell station!

View this post on Instagram

Signs of #smalltownlife . #smalltown

A post shared by Neil E. Hodges (@takenji1989) on

I knew in my head that the real adventure would begin as soon as I started the descent to the South Fork Stillaguamish River. The climb up from the bridge crossing the river was easy enough at first, but then I eventually got to the real bear of a climb shortly after. Not a single car was on the highway when I made my ascent, which was a nice change of pace.

While this hill will never be easy, I felt especially out of shape after this climb. I also forgot there was a false flat between the two climbs up it.

Mon May 27 10:48:39 2019@Robe, United States

What's crazy is that there were no cars while I was climbing that hill.

Mon May 27 11:31:11 2019@Verlot, United States

After that came the next significant descent into the quaint little town of Robe. I made a quick stop at the local general store to get a soda since I was still pretty hot after that climb.

There weren't any more major climbs heading east, though the road east of Robe doesn't have much in the way of consistent shoulders. Thankfully, traffic wasn't too heavy as I entered the national forest.

When I entered robe, I saw much more activity than last time.

Everybody's looking for Discover/Forest Passes. I'm sure glad I don't need them, as I don't have a car!

Mon May 27 11:32:06 2019@Verlot, United States

From there, it was just beautiful mountain valley highway all the way out to Silverton.

The gravel section was still there, though shorter than I remembered.

It wasn't much longer until I finally arrived to Silverton, which was the same as I remembered: a bridge and some cabins. This time, however, the cottonwood trees were throwing out tons of seeds.

The cottonwoods are going insane up here.

Mon May 27 13:10:35 2019@Silverton, United States

Shortly before leaving Silverton, I saw a bunch of roadies who were headed back down from Barlow Pass. Alas, that wouldn't be my turning back point this time.

Part 3: Inbound

I was hoping for a nice, speedy descent back down to Robe, but the winds had a better idea: random wind directions every few minutes.

Surprised it took this long for someone to roll coal at me.

Mon May 27 14:27:58 2019@Verlot, United States

Once back in Robe, I got another soda. A young guy on a motorcycle asked me about where I was headed while I drank it, and later the store owner's cat came up to say hello. The owner came out to say that the cat was asking to be let in before doing so.

The cat belonging to the owner of the Mountain Loop General Store came up to me for attention (food).

Mon May 27 14:49:42 2019@Robe, United States

The climb back over the big hill was still a challenge, but it was still easier in this direction. I kept telling myself to stay in traffic after the big descent and into the climb, but I pulled off at the bridge anyway due to the number of cars I was holding up. Thankfully, there weren't many up the climb into Granite Falls.

The heat really started hitting me as I cruised southwest on SR-92, and I had to stop to eat in the shade by the time I got to Lochsloy. My legs here absolutely filthy at this point due to the sunscreen trapping a lot more dust than my sweat normally would have.

View this post on Instagram

It's so dusty today. #cycling #tattoo

A post shared by Neil E. Hodges (@takenji1989) on

At that point, I had a decision to make:

  1. Use the same SR-204 route as a recent ride.
  2. Go through Snohomish.

I ended up going south to Snohomish via the Centennial Trail, as my legs were pretty beat from earlier. Along the way, I saw a woman learning how to ride a bike the hard way:

When I got to Snohomish, I decided that I really didn't want to do the junk miles along the south side of the river, mainly due to the wind, so I made my way to the bus stop. It was here where I saw some of the worst overhead lines I'd ever seen.

Part 4: Return Home

Once back in Seattle, I took the usual route down to the Burke–Gilman Trail, then headed home. FreeRange Cycles hadn't been open on the day I did the ride, and would've closed by this point anyway.

This ride reminded me of why I would consider a 100-mile version of this a full day, when 130-150 miles was more typical of my rides: it's a lot of climbing!

No comments: